The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) compiled information regarding motorcycle helmet use in 2014. In “Motorcycle Helmet Use in 2014-Overall Results”.
For 2014, NHTSA found:
- DOT-compliant helmet use was 64%, an increase from 60% in 2013.
- Use of non-compliant helmets decreased to 5%, down from 7% in 2013.
- Motorcyclists who did not use a helmet decreased to 31%, down from 33% in 2013.
- Nineteen (19) states and the District of Columbia require helmet use for all riders.
- Helmet use increased significantly in the southern states.
NHTSA has documented that motorcycle helmet usage has varied over the years as shown in this graph.
830 Engineering is a forensic engineering firm that completes motorcycle crash investigations, motorcycle crash reconstruction, vehicle crash investigations and vehicle crash reconstruction. Erin Higinbotham, P.E. is a motorcycle expert and vehicle expert.