NHTSA’s Crash Statistics for 2012
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) recently published crash statistics for calendar year 2012 in the United States. These crashes include passenger car crashes, light truck crashes, large truck crashes, motorcycle crashes and pedestrian crashes.
These statistics include:
- There were 33,561 traffic fatalities in all vehicle-type crashes and a total of 5,615,000 reported crashes.
- There were 4,957 motorcyclist fatalities and 93,000 motorcyclist injuries.
- There were 4,743 pedestrian fatalities.
- There were 726 bicyclist fatalities.
- There were 2,362,000 people injured in crashes.
- There were about 134 million passenger cars and 8 million motorcycles registered for use.
- The passenger car seat belt use rate is about 86%.
830 Engineering is a forensic engineering firm that completes motorcycle crash investigations, motorcycle crash reconstruction, vehicle crash investigations and vehicle crash reconstruction. Erin Higinbotham, P.E. is a motorcycle expert and vehicle expert.